The basic principles of an excellent business mentoring relationship. No 5
December 18, 2020 Published by Thomas Cullen
What a good business mentor does!
Every start-up business should have a mentor
1 From pre-start to test for feasibility of the business idea.
2 Start-up stage, to ensuring everything is in place and planned for.
3 Finally for business development. Having got up and running how to stay ahead to be sustainable and grow your business.
Fundamental principles, what your business mentor /coach will be able to:
- Be a person you can trust.
- Outline guidelines that can be followed
- Point out strengths and weaknesses in proposed projects
- Act as a confidential sounding board
- Assist in preparing SMART goals with matching Action Plans
- Be external accountability for you
What is Mentoring?
They need to be able to listen and ask questions that will challenge the mentee to identify the course of action they need to take regarding their business idea or development.
What is a business mentor? https://sherpha.com/mentoring-program/
A mentor is defined in the Oxford Dictionary as an “experienced and trusted adviser”. They are a person that will
- Ask questions to help develop the mentee’s understanding of a situation or problem
- Provide information and knowledge and share informal networks
- Offer different perspectives
- Provide support and encouragement
- Be a sounding board
- Be a critical friend
- Encourage self-reflection
- Help mentees identify areas for development
A mentor will have the opportunity to use their experience, knowledge, and wisdom to support the development of the mentee. However, the responsibility for making things happen and putting plans into action lies with the mentee.
- Each relationship will be unique to those two individuals involved
- It is people-centered
- It provides a feedback system- to enhance learning
- It is broad in focus – it should meet the needs of the mentee and mentor
- It is not exclusive – but complementary to other methods of learning
How the mentoring process should work:
- Explain the purpose of the mentoring relationship
- Outline the format of the conversations
- Advise how these conversations will work
- Explain what the mentor will commit to and the mentor’s role
- What is expected from mentees and their role?
Mentoring sessions proper:
Identify strengths, achievements, opportunities and areas of development
Investigate options and identify supports needed
coaching on specific areas if required
Set SMART goals and convert into action between sessions
Like every good thing, it must come to an end but in an orderly way. https://sherpha.com/mentoring-program/
Set out time parameters or what objectives need to be achieved to bring the relationship to a conclusion.
When all goals of each session and objectives of the mentoring program have been completed there needs to be agreement that all has been done and sign off.
Identify with the mentee what their next steps should be and work on a time-limited steps to be taken.
- An excellent mentor will focus on the needs of the mentee.
- They will listen to 2/3’s of the time and talk no more than 1/3 of the time.
- At all times the mentor support, guides and helps the mentee to address the challenges the mentee does or will face.
- They always keep an open mind and so should the mentee.
- The mentor must never take ownership or responsibility for mentee SMART Goals or Action Plans
- Assume that what worked for the mentor in the past will automatically work for the mentee.
- Act on behalf of the mentee unless jointly agree that this is the best course of action
- The mentor must not assume anything without identifying the root cause of any problems encountered by the mentee.
www.sherpha.com we will provide you with a mentoring service that:
- Provides you with tools and insights for entrepreneurs in the process of, starting or developing, a business or project
- It helps you with simple and effective business development maps, plans, tools, and techniques to achieve your business goals.
- Guides your enterprise to enhance success, save time and money by keeping business-focused.
BOOK YOUR FREE 15 MINUTE ADVICE SESSION
No obligations — just an introductory chat and some useful advice.
Click here: https://sherpha.com/contact-us/#tab-schedulefreeadvicesession
Our mentoring promise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0pP5BSBElc
Thomas Cullen Founder and CEO
Ireland and U.K.
Follow us on
We recommend you buy “Market Research, Analysis and Opportunity” from https://sherpha.com/maps-guides-2/ for detailed step by step instructions
Copyright December 2019
#bestbusinessmentors #best online business mentors #business coach and mentor #business coaching services #business mentoring services #business development mentor #mentoring for growth #find a business coach #mentors for small business owners #businessplan #businessplanning #startyourownbusiness #beyourownboss #businessideas #self-employment #what a business mentor does #mentoring cost #business mentor #benefits of having a business mentor #mentoring style #mentoring techniques #Businessmentor #business plan #business ideas
Tags: business advice, business consultancy, Business Consultant, business development, business mentor, business planning, business research, business start-up, business support, entrepreneur, lean start-ups, mentor, mentoring, online mentor, small business advice, small business support, start up, start up business, start your own business, starting a business, virtual mentor
Tags: be your own boss, business advice, Business Coach, business consultancy, business development, business finance, business funding, business ideas, Business Mentor, business mentor for start-ups, business plan, business planning, business support, coach, enterprise Ireland, enterprise mentor, enterprise partnership, entrepreneur mentor, find a business coach, find a business mentor, lean start-ups, local enterprise, local enterprise office, local enterprise partnership, mentor, mentoring, on-line business coach, online business mentor, project plan, self-employment, small business advice, Small business coach, small business mentor, small business support, start-up, start-up mentor, start-ups, working from home