No 1 Golden Nuggets (Business News) What You Need from a Mentor when starting or developing your own businessDecember 19, 2019 2:13 pm
What do you need from your mentor when starting or developing a business or project?
They must provide an independent assessment of the current position of an individual, their idea and thus their needs and capacity for mentoring. Have the commercial insight, skills, experience, track record and confidence to examine each mentee in significant depth and to challenge the mentee inputs. A key role will be to challenge and probe in order to flush out the related substantive issues – both positive and negative – facing the mentee concerned.
It is important to emphasise that the mentoring inputs will be tailored to the specific needs of the mentee. Thus, the process should not be overly prescriptive, simply because these compromises the ability of the mentor to address the specific issues.
Before you decide that you need, the guidance and support of a mentor you should consider several things:
- What areas of wisdom and insights do you need?
- No mentor is all knowing.
- They may have many other mentees so you will not be the centre of their universe.
- A mentor will take you on a journey to accelerate your growth and development.
- Decide what competences and knowledge you need help with?
- A mentor does not have to be a specific subject matter expert but have the skills to listen and empathise using their hard-won knowledge and most of all their wisdom (the ability to use knowledge and experience to make good decisions and judgments).
- The process of mentoring requires a very disciplined approach to developing goals and delivering on them.
- You need a mentor that will bring quantifiable and long-term value.
- Select a mentor that understands and delivers on your mentoring expectations.
- Always exchange a non-disclosure confidentiality agreement.
The qualities you need as a mentee:
- Commitment to the mentoring process
- Willingness to take risks
- Acceptance of uncertainty
- Natural networker
- Total commitment to hard work
- Passion, energy, and creativity
Mentoring is a fluid conversation but at an early stage of the mentoring process establish:
- How the mentoring process will be structured and the rules of engagement
- What do you need and what do you need to know?
- Does your idea have a prospect for success?
- How do you test the market to see will anyone buy from you?
- What needs to be done to have a finished product or service?
- What are the financial issues involved?
www.sherpha.com is here to assist, help and guide your journey from idea to success, like a Sherpa would help you ascend to the summit of Mt. Everest. We guide you in what you need to do and help you in how to do it.
www.sherpha.com we will provide you with a mentoring service that:
- Provides you with tools and insights for entrepreneurs in the process of, starting or developing, a business or project
- Helps you with simple and effective business development maps, plans, tools and techniques to achieve your business goals.
- Guides your enterprise to enhance success, save time and money by keeping business focused.
Thomas Cullen Founder and C.E.O, www.sherpha.com
Looking forward to hearing from you, book a free introductory online mentoring session
Copyright December 2019Tags: business planning, business start-up, mentorin, mentoring, starting a business
Categorised in: MENTORING
This post was written by Joe Coll